RE: freeing space on /usr?

Mike,

I have used this technique on a few Solaris systems when the original
partitioning proved to be inadequately sized and there were no other
simple options available.  The only issue I can think of that might
be a problem is symbolic links within the moved directory structure
which "could" end up not pointing to the right thing.  The type of
problem I am thinking of can be seen if you use a standard Bourne
shell (NOT ksh or bash, for sure).  A symlink to a directory can be
cd'd to, but a pwd command will show the actual path to the current
directory, not the symlink path, which can be confusing to users.
It could also be confusing to programs accessing a symlink of the
relative type ( --> ../something ) since the thing pointed to could
be in the original location (I don't know how clear this is...;-)

	$ ln -s /tmp /usr/tmp/somethingnew
	$ cd /usr/tmp/somethingnew
	$ pwd
	/tmp  #ksh and bash would show /usr/tmp/somethingnew

I have not tried this sort of thing myself on Linux nor have I tested
the relative path issue in any environment.

So the bottom line is that some symlink things may break but in general
the procedure will work.  As to "appropriate" things, nothing other
than trying to avoid directory structures with lots of symlinks comes
to mind.

---
Bob McGowan
i'm:  bob dot mcgowan at artecon dot com