installation program problems

Hello all.

I'm trying to install Debian 2.0 on my computer, but I'm running into
trouble (what's new, right?)...any help would be appreciated.

I am attempting to install from a fat32 partition.  I downloaded the
appropriate files (per installation guide) and ran install.bat.  The
kernel boots properly, but that's where everything stops running
smoothly.

When I got the installation screen the first time (where it asks for
screen mode), it froze.  No keyboard input was recognized, no key
sequences worked (e.g. cntrl-alt-del). I had to turn off the computer to
reboot.

Upon multiple reboots I've been able to make it pass the mounting a root
partition step.  Afterwards it freezes.  No additional reboots seem to
help.

The Compaq Presario i'm installing debian on is a p166 and 56 meg ram.

two ide hard drives: hda - 2.1 gig Quantum Bigfoot
		     hdb - 6.4 gig Quantum Bigfoot

of the two, I'm installing on hdb (two linux partitions, hdb3 swap, hdb4
linux).

Again, any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Herbert Ho