Re: moving fvwm windows by thier "handles"

the lone gunman wrote:

> Now, the handles resize the window.  For instance, if I display an
> image under xv that is big enough to push the title bar off the
> screen, I really can't move the window.  I would like to go back to my
> old setup, but I do not know which fvwm2 command to use in the config
> file.
>
> Anyone know what I need?

A modification of your ~/.xmodmaprc and ~/.fvwmrc file to allow
another means to move and/or resize windows.

What I do is move and resize windows by mouse 1 and mouse 3
(respectfully) pressed *anywhere* in a window, with a modifier key
pressed.  This I find to be much faster and much easier on my right
wrist because I don't have to "find" the handles with the mouse.  It
is also a good use of the extra "windows" keys on those curved
"natural" keyboards under X.

What I did was something like the following: (I don't have access to
my Linux machine at the moment so double check all this.)

Add and entry to your ~/.xmodmaprc file to change a (spare) key to be
a mod 4 (or some other modifier which won't conflict with
applications). I can't recall exactly what those commands are but I
figured it out playing with xkeycaps.  I have my ~/.xinitrc source my
~/.xmodmaprc file i.e.

# Set up my keyboard for a control key on the right and a mouse
# modfier key...
if [ -f $HOME/.xmodmaprc ]; then
  xmodmap $HOME/.xmodmaprc
fi

Then modify your ~/.fvwmrc to give meaning to the new modifier key and
mouse buttons being pressed at the same time.  (I do have these settings
because I use FVWM on Solaris at work):

# Window movement and resizing
#     Button Context Modifi Function
Mouse 1      FSTW    4      Move
Mouse 2      FSTW    4      Maximize 0 100
Mouse 3      FSTW    4      Resize

I like tall windows so I use mouse 2 for instant max height.

There could be better/other ways to accomplish this, but it works for
me (I'm open to suggestions).  I've actually seen twm configurations
to have no window decorations at all using this idea (where I stole it
from...).  Personally, I think that no decorations is a little extreme
but this ability alone is enough reason for me to prefer X-windows as
a GUI.

HTH,
Keith