CD-ROM hassles

I'm installing Linux onto a freshly-partitioned (linux-only) drive, from
base floppy images I copy from a distribution CD-ROM on a Win95 machine.

Everything appears happy, apart from the fact that things refuse to
install from CD-ROM (hence the floppies). Trying this from dinstall gets
suggestions of 'insmod driver', even though it's apparently an ATAPI/IDE
drive and shouldn't need a driver module. The drive claims to be some
kind of MCD, but it's a cheapo rip-off, and I can't get the MCD driver
to install in any case (device or resource is busy or in use).

Anyway, by fiddling with the BIOS settings, I have been able to get a
few different kinds of frustrating errors. In all cases, I use

mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /cdrom

By forcing the Secondary Master to modes 0-2, I get:

(many) hdc: tray open or drive not ready
       end-request: I/O error, dev 16:00, sector 64
       isofs_read_super: bread failed, dev 16:00, sector 64
       mount: wrong fstype, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc,
       or too many mounted file systems.
(many) hdc: tray open or drive not ready

Allowing it to Auto (Mode 3) or forcing to mode 4, I get:

hdc: command error: status=0x51
hdc: command error: error=0x50
end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00, sector 64
hdc: code: 0x18  key: 0x0a  asc: 0x00  ascq: 0x00
then a pair of request sense failure messages as above
then the isofs_read_super error
then a pair of packet command errors
hdc: code: 0x44  key: 0x04  asc: 0x00  ascq: 0x00
then the mount error
then the packet command errors again
hdc: code: 0x5x  key: 0x08 etc
more error pairs
hdc: code:0x04  key: 0x04
and more request sense failures.

I can't recompile the kernel to give readable error messages without
installing gcc et al off the CD-ROM, and I'm at a loss for what to try
next. I have no idea about hardware, and specifically no idea about this
hardware since it's a middle-aged P133 I picked up with no
documentation.

Am I screwed? Or am I just missing something important?

Thanks for your time,

Joel.