Re: scsi newbie

In <[🔎] Pine.SOL.3.96.980820171955.3693A-100000@apocalypse.OCF.Berkeley.EDU>,
on 08/20/98
   at 05:26 PM, Marlon Urias <nolram@OCF.Berkeley.EDU> said:

>I have an Adaptec adapter with an internal CDRW and IOMEGA Zip on the
>external 68-pin connector. On bootup my kernel seems to "see" the devices
>but does not report back mountable points (ie sda, sdb4). I have appended
>the relevant dmesg section, thanks for your time.

>[clip]
>hda: QUANTUM FIREBALL ST2.1A, 2014MB w/81kB Cache, CHS=1023/64/63, DMA
>hdb: , ATAPI CDROM drive
>ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
>Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
>FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077
>aic7xxx: Warning - detected auto-termination on controller:
>aic7xxx: <Adaptec AHA-294X Ultra SCSI host adapter> at PCI 9/0 aic7xxx:
>Please verify driver detected settings are correct. aic7xxx: If not, then
>please properly set the device termination aic7xxx: in the Adaptec SCSI
>BIOS by hitting CTRL-A when prompted aic7xxx: during machine bootup.
This says it all.  You have termination enabled on the adapter, but that
is wrong!  Disable termination when you are
using two cables, as the adapter is in the middle of the chain! It is
probably unable to "see" your devices, as the wrong termination destroys
signals.
>aic7xxx: Cables present (Int-50 YES, Int-68 NO, Ext-68 NO)
Looks like it doesn't see the external cable.  could be the termination
problem, could be a loose cable.
>aic7xxx: Termination (Low ON, High ON)
[...]
>  Vendor: YAMAHA    Model: CRW4260           Rev: 1.0h
>  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>(scsi0:0:6:0) Refusing WIDE negotiation; using 8 bit transfers.
>(scsi0:0:6:0) Refusing synchronous negotiation; using asynchronous
>transfers.
>  Vendor: IOMEGA    Model: ZIP 100           Rev: J.02
>  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02 scsi
>: detected total.
The controller see both devices...
>Partition check:
> hda: hda1 hda2 hda3
cdrom isn't harddisk and shouldn't show up here anyway.  don't know about
zip drives.

Fix the termination first.  Did you compile the kernel?  If so, make sure
you support all kinds of scsi devices: disks, cdroms, and others.

Helge Hafting