Start X problem

I'm having problems starting X windows. After installing
Debian 2.0 and entering 'startx' I get the following error;

   (--) VGA16: Maximum allowed dot-clock: 90 MHz
   (--) VGA16: There is no defined dot-clock matching mode "1024 x
768"

   Fatal server error:
   No valid modes found.

   When reporting a problem related to server crash,
   please send the full server output, not just the last messages.

   _X11 TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
   giving up.

   xinit: Connecton refused (errno 111): unable to connect to X
server
   xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.

What needs to be done to start up the X server?

--Greg