Re: Which MTA?

On Thu, Aug 20, 1998 at 12:24:00AM -0700, George Bonser wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Aug 1998, Ken Chew wrote:
>
> > Also would it be possible to create email account without actuall adding
> > user account on the system. Currently what we do is 'adduser' for every
> > user account. Is this necessary?
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> Personally, I used Exim but I support customers that use sendmail and I
> have used smail extensively in the past. The problem with pop3 is the
> username/password login that must happen to collect mail. You pretty much
> have to have a passwd entry but you do not need a home directory or a
> shell. You can set the home dir to /dev/null and the shell to /bin/false.

sounds like the way to go

> Exim is the sweetest emailer ever to grace the surface of my disks. See
> http://www.exim.org for more details.  Sendmail is very versatile in many
> ways but is very stupid in others. A lot of mail queued to a site that is
> "off the air" can really bog queue processing. qmail is OK but exim's
> filter spec can make such things as procmail obsolete. Virtual domains are
> trivial with exim too.

Well I will agree that exim is GREAT and easy to ocnfigure...
I have had exim working for a while and decided that I no longer
wanted "| procmail " in my .forward....I wanted to set exim up
to use procmail as its MDA....didn't take long at all...
(Yes I still use procmail...because I LIKE procmail...and if I switch
MTAs chances are I can still use my same rules)

-Steve

E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"