Re: Which MTA?

On Thu, 20 Aug 1998, Ken Chew wrote:

> Also would it be possible to create email account without actuall adding
> user account on the system. Currently what we do is 'adduser' for every
> user account. Is this necessary?
>
> Thanks!

Personally, I used Exim but I support customers that use sendmail and I
have used smail extensively in the past. The problem with pop3 is the
username/password login that must happen to collect mail. You pretty much
have to have a passwd entry but you do not need a home directory or a
shell. You can set the home dir to /dev/null and the shell to /bin/false.

Exim is the sweetest emailer ever to grace the surface of my disks. See
http://www.exim.org for more details.  Sendmail is very versatile in many
ways but is very stupid in others. A lot of mail queued to a site that is
"off the air" can really bog queue processing. qmail is OK but exim's
filter spec can make such things as procmail obsolete. Virtual domains are
trivial with exim too.

George Bonser

The Linux "We're never going out of business" sale at an FTP site near you!