Re: Which MTA?

On Thu, Aug 20, 1998 at 02:08:01PM +0800, Ken Chew wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking into setting up email accounts for some of our assosciate
> companies as well as clients. They will just be using pop3 to retrive
> their email, no access to the server via telnet, ftp or whatever?
>
> I understand that there are a number of MTA, snedmail, smail, qmail etc.
> Which of these is good for this task? I know different people have
> different perference, but I would like to hear opinions.
 I would choose qmail (i use it now and am happy). It is small, fast, secure
and considerably easier to configure than sendmail (no more cryptic cf
directives! and i really know what i'm talking about; i've been dealing with
sendmail for last couple of years). Togheter with qmail You have pop3d (works
only with Maildir)

> Also would it be possible to create email account without actuall adding
> user account on the system. Currently what we do is 'adduser' for every
> user account. Is this necessary?
hmm... I thnik this can be made with QMail (look at www.qmail.org for
pointers on how to do that)

--