Re: Apt how, why, where

On Wed, Aug 19, 1998 at 11:14:37AM -0500, Mark Panzer wrote:
> Ed Cogburn wrote:
> >
> > Mark Panzer wrote:
> > >
> > > Question,
> > >
> > > Apt is supposed to be a better replacement for dselect/dpkg right?  Can
> > > you install it on a HAMM system, and if so how?  I guess I kinda got
> > > left behind on the Apt thing.  Does Apt use the same .deb's as dselect?
> > > Also what is the proper way to compile and install a kernel in debian?
> > > I've heard make kpkg instead of make zlilo and other makeables.  Sorry
> > > for all the questions. Thanks.
> > >
> > > Mark Panzer
> > >
> >         Apt is a replacement for dselect, not dpkg.  It is front-end to dpkg,
> > so the '.deb' packaging scheme is the same.  It currently has only a
> > command-line interface.  However it also installs itself as a 'access'
> > method under dselect.  dselect/apt is better than dselect/ftp.
> >         'make-kpkg' is supposed to be the Debian Way(TM), although, being lazy,
> > I still go the old zlilo/zImage route.
> >
> If you make the zlilo will it "break" your system, by confusing dselect.
> Or is this an exceptable practice?

Well I will admit... at first I hated make-kpkg so I rea dthe docs and...
NO doing the make by hand and installing the kernel should not
break ANYTHING (unless you do it wrong ;) then it could break
EVERYTHING ;) )

I never did a make zlilo...I alwas used to make zImage and then do the
rest of the install by hand. I did ONCE try zlilo I think...and it
used some braindead defaults which required my fixing.

The only problem with NOT using make-kpkg is that dpkg doesn't know
that you upgraded...as far as it knows you have some other kernel.
This means that if some program depends on a certain kernel version
you may need to force the depends...
of course there is always that package which lets you override the system
by makeing a dummy package...

btw speaking of hateing make-kpkg... I was wrong...
man it is GREAT! It works so well and works every time for me.
and its really nice to know I have a backup kernel + modules "just in case"

> I think it would be a good idea to
> have the "Debian Linux Kernel Compiling HOWTO" since everyone who wants
> sound has to recompile.

I didn't have to...then again...I payed for OSS/Linux

>  Also if you select modules (suppose I have to
> if I get a PnP card) will it compile all the drivers not selected in
> make [menu/x/config] into modules so you can use them or do you still
> have to select the ones you want in make?

if you want it to make the module you MUST select it in the config as a
module

> It would be kinda cool if you
> could just make a tiny kernel with only HDD support (and network) and
> then insmod or use kdeamon to put all the modules in, also if you added
> more hardware later you could just insmod that driver for it and not
> have to recompile.

well whatever floats your boat really....
I tend to compile everything I need into the kernel...
in fact if it wasn't fo rthe fact I needed BOTH ppa and lp my kernel would
really be monolithic (well...except for OSS/Linux...but since the newer
2.1.x kernels have AudioPCI support, and I got a serial printer...
I may soon be able to have a truely monolithic kernel)

of course recently I did compile a completely monolithic kernel (without
even loadable module support) ...and I did it without kernel-package...
but it was for an XTerminal which was NFS-rooting

> (gee I think I'd like to delete that Win95 partition
> too bad I need Word for school).

nah...get staroffice ;)
-Steve
E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"