Re: Apt how, why, where

Ed Cogburn wrote:

> Mark Panzer wrote:
> >
> > Question,
> >
> > Apt is supposed to be a better replacement for dselect/dpkg right?  Can
> > you install it on a HAMM system, and if so how?  I guess I kinda got
> > left behind on the Apt thing.  Does Apt use the same .deb's as dselect?
> > Also what is the proper way to compile and install a kernel in debian?
> > I've heard make kpkg instead of make zlilo and other makeables.  Sorry
> > for all the questions. Thanks.
> >
> > Mark Panzer
> >
>         Apt is a replacement for dselect, not dpkg.  It is front-end to dpkg,
> so the '.deb' packaging scheme is the same.  It currently has only a
> command-line interface.  However it also installs itself as a 'access'
> method under dselect.  dselect/apt is better than dselect/ftp.
>         'make-kpkg' is supposed to be the Debian Way(TM), although, being lazy,
> I still go the old zlilo/zImage route.

If you make the zlilo will it "break" your system, by confusing dselect.
Or is this an exceptable practice?  I think it would be a good idea to
have the "Debian Linux Kernel Compiling HOWTO" since everyone who wants
sound has to recompile.  Also if you select modules (suppose I have to
if I get a PnP card) will it compile all the drivers not selected in
make [menu/x/config] into modules so you can use them or do you still
have to select the ones you want in make? It would be kinda cool if you
could just make a tiny kernel with only HDD support (and network) and
then insmod or use kdeamon to put all the modules in, also if you added
more hardware later you could just insmod that driver for it and not
have to recompile. (gee I think I'd like to delete that Win95 partition
too bad I need Word for school).

Mark Panzer