Re: cfdisk: "Fatal error: Bad Primary partition"

Nebu John Mathai wrote:

> Thanks for the scripts!

No problem.

> The problem turned out to be when WinNT partitioned its part of the
> drive, it messed up an adjacent primary partition.
>
> I have one more problem ... cfdisk reads the wrong disk geometry (ie, the
> C/H/S are wrong for my drive). Perhaps this is why the partitioning
> conflicted between cfdisk and NT?

Sounds like a possibility. I'm no expert in this area though.

> I'm just a bit scared of changing the geometry because cfdisk says that
> only people who know what they're doing should do it. I plan to just
> replace cfdisk's number with the numbers on my drive manual. Does this
> seem alright?

I can only offer my own inclination but I would say it's definitely kosher to change
the geometry to what's in the drive manual. Then again, who knows if that might make
the NT partition unusable.

> Finally, is there a FAQ anywhere that discusses the whole idea of
> partitions (primary vs extended), disk geometries, and MBR? I'm obviously
> ignorant.

Take a look at /usr/doc/lilo/Manual.txt.gz.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com