Re: Apt how, why, where

Hi,
>>"Ed" == Ed Cogburn <ecogburn@greene.xtn.net> writes:

 Ed> 	'make-kpkg' is supposed to be the Debian Way(TM), although, being lazy,
 Ed> I still go the old zlilo/zImage route.

	That is surprising; make-kpkg has been designed for the truly
 lazy ;-)

	These are really the steps I take (one is supposed to read the
 docs, but since I wrote 'em, I skip that step ;-)

 For the Brave and the impatient:
1% cd <kernel source tree>
2% make config   # or make menuconfig or make xconfig and configure
3% make-kpkg clean
4% fakeroot make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image
5# dpkg -i ../kernel-image-X.XXX_1.0_<arch>.deb
6# shutdown -r now # If and only if LILO worked or you have a means of
                   # booting the new kernel. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!

 With the addition of fakeroot ( a really nice program, I recommend
 it) Steps 1 to 4 can be carried out as a non root user. Step 5 does
 require root privileges.

	manoj
--
 "You can't depend on your judgment when your imagination is out of
 focus." Mark Twain