Re: Yet another WindowMaker question...

On Mon, Aug 17, 1998 at 05:20:13PM +0200, Waldemar ¯urowski wrote:

> I'm sorry for such trival question, but I'm really stuck. I just deleted
> my ~/GNUstep directory, and now I don't know how to customize popup menu.

Hmmm... you start WindowMaker with "wmaker", right? If you take a look at
/usr/X11R6/bin/wmaker, you'll see that's just a sh script that creates the
directory if it doesn't exists...

> Until now I knew that I have to edit menu.hook file.

Editing menu.hook is bad, really bad. Unless of course you mean you "cp
/etc/X11/WindowMaker/menu.hook ~/GNUstep/Library/WindowMaker/menu.hook", and
you *don't* run update-menus.

> Unfortunatelly right now I don't have any of such file - and I think
> that's good - but also I don't know where to put my own menu items.

Ok. You can

a) edit ~/GNUstep/Defaults/WMRootMenu and change "menu.hook" to, say,
   "my_menu"

b) Create a file "my_menu" in ~/GNUstep/Library/WindowMaker; you can
   optionally include:

   "Debian Apps" OPEN_MENU menu.hook

   somewhere in the menu.

c) (as root) cp /usr/lib/menu/wmaker /etc/menu/wmaker and edit the /etc file
   removing anything you *don't* want in the "Debian Apps" menu, for
   example, the Exit commands under WindowManagers, or the WorkSpaces
   command under WorkSpace... be creative, and send changes and suggestions
   to wmaker@packages.debian.org

d) (as root) run "update-menus" and voílà, you have the menus the way you
   want them.

e) Optionally, if you want to add your own items to the "Debian Apps" menu,
   create files in /etc/menu/ for the items you want there. (And read the
   menu documentation -- you have menu installed, don't you?)

						Marcelo