Re: Sound Problems

On Tue, 18 Aug 1998, Jens Ch. Lisner wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I've tried to get my AWE64 PnP to work, but there seem to be
> massive problems with the sound driver. I configured the card with
> isapnptools as suggested in the HOWTOs (the parameters are set to the same
> values as in w95, and it works fine there). After "insmod sound" I get
> immediatly a fast and loud pounding sound. There is no way to rid of it
> except reboot (rmmod doesn't work). I tried with and without awe-support,
> or wavetable support in isapnp.conf file.

Well, I configured my kernel for SB 16 first, then patched it with awedrv,
redid make menuconfig with AWE32 support (see auxiliary devices at the
bottom). Then I did a pnpdump and uncommented the normal Soundblaster
settings I set before when going through make menuconfig:
           INT 5, Port 0x220, DMA 1 & 3, Port 330 for MPU401
isapnp is called on startup by default, check what file it calls on your
system, for me it's /etc/isapnp.conf.
Why don't you just try isapnp with the pnpdump you prepared and see
whether it initializes the card without errors ?

After booting with the new kernel (don't forget to rerun lilo !!!) it all
works a treat... As I call the init program from the awe32 tools to load
soundfonts into the AWE's memory the kernel daemon inserts sound.o
automagically for me.

Regards,

       /(__  __|\          Lars Steinke, Research Student @
      (    \/  __)_        www.fmf.uni-freiburg.de, Germany