Can apt-get do proxy-http req?

Hi!

Newbie here struggling with updating. And I never did get dselect
to work consistently during the bo installation. Anyway:

I "manually" collected the packages demanded by autoup.sh and ran
it.  Now the readme says I need to update ALL installed packages.
For that volume, it should be worth giving dselect a try.

Apt-get wants proper URLs, but I have a proxy server on a Windows
machine on the LAN, and the Linux box at this stage of the game
staunchly refuses to see anything on the Internet, by name or by
IP number (I've compared the route table and the network script
and the ifconfig eth0 with other people's posts--I've been
lurking--but to no avail).  So: Is there a way I can get apt to
do a proxy request to my local Windows proxy server, which has no
trouble finding the Internet?

Another angle:  Using FTP access in dselect, can I tweak the
paths in the get commands?  dselect does proxy-ftp connections,
but seems not to find hamm packages on the German mirrors
(symbolic links not in place?)--it lets me choose the paths
(which contain "/hamm/hamm/") when setting up ftp access, and
gets the package lists all right, but then it uses other paths--
the default "/debian/dists/stable/binary-i386/.../"--when trying
to get the pkgs themselves, and gets nothing.

Or will I have to identify and get all these update packages by
hand, i.e. without the benefit of apt or dselect?  Or am I
completely missing the easy way?

Sorry about the confused sentences ... Thanks for your attention!

Tony

Tony Crawford
crawford@molnet.de
Tel. +49-3341-309 999