Re: WARNING : libc6 Version: 2.0.7t-1 breaks resolv routines

On Fri, Aug 14, 1998 at 01:40:10PM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
> Quoting Robert J. Alexander (rja@raleigh.ibm.com):
> > The debugging I and a friend in IBM have been doing seem to pinpoint the
> > resolver problems I had to the release of libc6 we just both upgraded
> > to:
> > Version: 2.0.7t-1
> >
> > with this installed even if your /etc/nsswitch.conf and your
> > /host.conf files point to /etc/hosts, the host command never even
> > tries to read it when doing name to address translation.
>
> That is the correct behavior. The host program only queries DNS servers;
> it does not consult the local host table. You can try pinging a hostname
> in the host table to see if it resolves.

[NB: I was also a guilty culprit]

It's wierder than that as someone at IBM pointed out - "host 127.0.0.1"
_does_ read /etc/hosts, but "host localhost" doesn't. Strange.

Adrian

email: adrian.bridgett@zetnet.co.uk, http://www.poboxes.com/adrian.bridgett
Windows NT - Unix in beta-testing.   PGP key available on public key servers
Debian Linux  http://www.debian.org  The superior Linux distribution