mbr package

I was wondering how hard it is to remove/replace the mbr package.  We have
a single system running hamm, for which we want to disable the capability
of booting from a diskette.  Currently we've disabled floppy-boot in the
BIOS, and configured LILO to require a password (only if kernel-options are
specified at it's prompt).  However, it seems that mbr still provides the
capability for a diskette boot... if I tap the shift key just before the
LILO prompt would appear, I see the prompt "1FA:" - pressing "f" then
causes a boot from floppy.

I'm afraid that using dpkg to force it's removal would break the system, as
dselect shows it to be a required component (and lilo appears to be making
use of it).  Any suggestions?