Re: eth0 and ppp0: how to setup routing?

>I have both a 3COM Etherlink III (device eth0) and a standard 28.8K
>modem (device ppp0). I used the Etherlink III (connected to the network
>at the office) to download and install Debian Hamm. This goes really
>fast, so I want to keep the network setup I made during the install for
>major upgrades of Debian in the future.

Howdy.  I have/had the same issue, and I found that the only way I could
get the thing to route correctly is not to put in a default gateway for
eth0.  Then, from the box, you can ping and telnet to the internal network,
as well as the dial-up network.

When I tried to add the default gateway for the ppp0, EVERYTHING went out
the dial-up port, which clearly is not what I wanted.

In your networks file, you'll see:
IPADDR=
NETMASK=
GATEWAY=

Having the eth0 ip address and netmask is fine of course, but delete
everything after the GATEWAY= and it will work just fine.  This is what I
did.  If you don't have the GATEWAY= there, for some odd reason data goes
out the ppp0 port irregardless of where it *should* go.

I'm not a real linux user, just a guy trying to learn it (the hard way), so
I can't really explain why this worked.

Frederic Breitwieser
Bridgeport, CT 06606

Homebrew Automotive Website:
http://www.xephic.dynip.com/

Wanted - RWD Buick Flywheel that fits the 3.8L / 4.1L!
-