man missing :-)

I'm a new linux user (but an old unix hacker) who can't figure out what
happened to man, the manpage reader. I've installed a system via
floppies and the net (no cd yet on this machine), and can see the man
directories and the compressed manfiles (using zmore dumps a page with
all the nroff commands in it) , but cannot locate a reader on the
system.

Have I failed to download a critical package? Is there some other
utility to use instead to read the pages?

Thanks,

Harry Hersh