Re: man missing :-)

Hersh, Harry hat gesagt: // Hersh, Harry wrote:

> I'm a new linux user (but an old unix hacker) who can't figure out what
> happened to man, the manpage reader. I've installed a system via
> floppies and the net (no cd yet on this machine), and can see the man
> directories and the compressed manfiles (using zmore dumps a page with
> all the nroff commands in it) , but cannot locate a reader on the
> system.
>
> Have I failed to download a critical package? Is there some other
> utility to use instead to read the pages?

You want to install the package:

man-db - Display the on-line manual.

This packages provides the man command, this utility is the primary way of
examining the on-line help files (manual pages). Other utilities provided
include the whatis and apropos commands for searching the manual page
database; the manpath utility for determining the manual page search path
and the maintenance utilities mandb, catman and zsoelim. This package uses
the groff suit of programs to format and display the manual pages.

It's in the section "docs".

--
						     __    __
 Frank Barknecht	   ____ ______   ____ __ trip\ \  / /wire ______