RE: Almost there. . .HELP

John

You've probably had loads of people reply to this, but better two than
none. If you
have access to a win95 machine that works on the net (ie can 'ping
www.digital.com'
and can therefore resolve names) try Start>Run>winipcfg. Click the
'Advanced' button
and it'll tell you the address of your net's DNS. In WfWG and NT the
equivalent is
ipconfig /all. Failing that, nslookup will tell you.

You might also need to know the default gateway that gets you out to the
Internet
(but you say you can already ping addresses? Maybe just in the internal
network?).
The winipcfg/ipconfig thing tells you the default gateway, too.

Now, I'm just getting started on Linux, but I think you need the address
of the DNS in
/etc/resolv.conf. There's a specific file format, but I don't know it
off-hand. The default
gateway goes somewhere too. There's a place for everything! I got this
working on a
Sun Solaris machine the other day - that OS seemed to want a
/etc/gateways file,
but it didn't actually work until I did a 'route add default a.b.c.d 1'
command. I'm a bit
hazy as to why it should need a gateway and a route (and also whether
the route
persists over a reboot), but perhaps someone will set us both straight?

Regards

John Midgley