Re: starting ppp on host end

jens wrote,

> Richard E. Hawkins Esq. wrote:

> > oh :)  I thought that the script started it at the other end :)

> Not unless you made it!

ok, slowly it's sinking in . . .

> > OK, for the really dumb question:  how do I start ppp on the other end on a
> > debian box?  it seems to be with pppd to start the daemon, but I'm having
> > trouble figuring out the man & doc pages.

> Actually I recommend using mgetty. mgetty is capable of "auto sensing" ppp when
> it picks up the line so you don't even have to log in and start ppp, your
> script simply waits for connect and then you authenticate using PAP or CHAP.

so I merely need to install mgetty on the remote host, and it will
replace getty?

> If
> you like you can have pppd use the regular user/password database to
> authenticate you. Having installed mgetty and made the necessary changes to
> /etc/inittab you can put this line in /etc/mgetty/login.config (my email client
> might wrap the line but it's supposed to be a single line):
>
> /AutoPPP/ -     -       /usr/sbin/pppd proxyarp auth -chap +pap login modem
> crtscts 192.168.1.1:192.168.1.127

I've tryied a PAP script, but I can't see a difference between it's end and te plain chat script.  So let's see if I've got this straight:

1)  install mgetty on the remote host
2) put the Autoppp line above in, but switch "local" for  "modem crtscts"
   as this is coming in over ethernet by the time it gets to the remote
   host.  And switch to IP numbers to the static addresses for my local
   machine and the remote (i have a secon IP on the same subnet to use\
   for the local machine).
3) use pppconfig to get an initial PAP chatscript.
4) add a few lines aftr connect to handle the network logon and machine
   selection, stoppping right before the remote system would offer a login
    prompt.
5) try pon again.

> > I've figured out to insert
> > the ppp & shlc modules on the host, but I'm not clear on what else to do.

> You shouldn't need to insert these modules if you have modules auto loaded.

that's my impression too, but my modules don't seem to autoload:
# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# to be loaded at boot time, one per line.  Comments begin with
# a `#', and everything on the line after them are ignored.
# An entry named `auto' will cause the system to start kerneld immediately.
# Kerneld then loads modules on demand. `noauto' disables kerneld completely.
auto
8390
ne

I generally have to manually insert my scsi modules to use my (late?)
zip drive, for example.

> > When I type pppd when logged in manually, I just get a bunch of nonsense
> > characters.

> That's just what you should see.

gee, something's right :)
rick