Re: starting ppp on host end

Richard E. Hawkins Esq. wrote:

> jens wrote,
> > Richard E. Hawkins Esq. wrote:
>
> > > huh?  This is an 8 bit clean connection.  so how to i test it myself to
> > > have something to show the telecommunications folks?  Or could my modem
> > > be sending 7 bits?  It's a compaq pcmia modem in an ibm thinkpad.
>
> > > any help would be appreciated.
>
> > Most likely the problem is simply that ppp hasn't started--the shell
> > is probably just
> > echoing back the LCP config requests. Try going through the chat
> >procedure by hand and see if you get PPP packets after you
> >ultimately login to the Linux box.
>
> oh :)  I thought that the script started it at the other end :)

Not unless you made it!

> OK, for the really dumb question:  how do I start ppp on the other end on a
> debian box?  it seems to be with pppd to start the daemon, but I'm having
> trouble figuring out the man & doc pages.

Actually I recommend using mgetty. mgetty is capable of "auto sensing" ppp when
it picks up the line so you don't even have to log in and start ppp, your
script simply waits for connect and then you authenticate using PAP or CHAP. If
you like you can have pppd use the regular user/password database to
authenticate you. Having installed mgetty and made the necessary changes to
/etc/inittab you can put this line in /etc/mgetty/login.config (my email client
might wrap the line but it's supposed to be a single line):

/AutoPPP/ -     -       /usr/sbin/pppd proxyarp auth -chap +pap login modem
crtscts 192.168.1.1:192.168.1.127

> I've figured out to insert
> the ppp & shlc modules on the host, but I'm not clear on what else to do.

You shouldn't need to insert these modules if you have modules auto loaded.

> When I type pppd when logged in manually, I just get a bunch of nonsense
> characters.

That's just what you should see.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen