c programming question w/ ncurses

I am trying to fumble through learning how to do some C programming.
In the book I am using, Beginning Linux Programming they are now trying
to use ncurses. I am getting the following errors when I try to compile
my source. I am compiling with this command:

$ cc -o screenmenu screenmenu.c -lncurses

this is the error:

screenmenu.c: In function `getchoice':
screenmenu.c:72: warning: passing arg 3 of `tputs' from incompatible pointer type

I get the same error when I compile the source from the book also. I also
get it when I try and compile it on another Linux machine. I was just wondering
if someone could look at the code and help me figure out why it is not working.
It would be nice if just one person could write a book that has examples that
work.

Here is the source below:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <termios.h>
#include <term.h>
#include <curses.h>

static FILE *output_stream = (FILE *)0;

char *menu[] = {
    "a - add new record",
    "d - delete record",
    "q - quit",
    NULL,
};

int getchoice(char *greet, char *choices[], FILE *in, FILE *out);
int char_to_terminal(int char_to_write);

int main()
{
    int choice = 0;
    FILE *input;
    FILE *output;
    struct termios initial_settings, new_settings;

    if (!isatty(fileno(stdout))) {
        fprintf(stderr,"You are not a terminal, OK.\n");
    }

    input = fopen("/dev/tty", "r");
    output = fopen("/dev/tty", "w");
    if(!input || !output) {
        fprintf(stderr, "Unable to open /dev/tty\n");
        exit(1);
    }

    tcgetattr(fileno(input),&initial_settings);
    new_settings = initial_settings;
    new_settings.c_lflag &= ~ICANON;
    new_settings.c_lflag &= ~ECHO;
    new_settings.c_cc[VMIN] = 1;
    new_settings.c_cc[VTIME] = 0;
    new_settings.c_lflag &= ~ISIG;
    if(tcsetattr(fileno(input), TCSANOW, &new_settings) != 0) {
        fprintf(stderr,"could not set attributes\n");
    }

        choice = getchoice("Please select an action", menu, input, output);
        printf("You have chosen: %c\n", choice);
    } while (choice != 'q');
    tcsetattr(fileno(input),TCSANOW,&initial_settings);
    exit(0);
}

int getchoice(char *greet, char *choices[], FILE *in, FILE *out)
{
    do {
        choice = getchoice("Please select an action", menu, input, output);
        printf("You have chosen: %c\n", choice);
    } while (choice != 'q');
    tcsetattr(fileno(input),TCSANOW,&initial_settings);
    exit(0);
}

int getchoice(char *greet, char *choices[], FILE *in, FILE *out)
{
    int chosen = 0;
    int selected;
    int screenrow, screencol = 10;

    char **option;
    char *cursor, *clear;

    output_stream = out;

    setupterm(NULL,fileno(out), (int *)0);
    cursor = tigetstr("cup");
    clear - tigetstr("clear");

    screenrow = 4;
    tputs(clear, 1, (int *) char_to_terminal);
    tputs(tparm(cursor, screenrow, screencol), 1, char_to_terminal);
    fprintf(out, "Choice: %s", greet);
    screenrow += 2;
    option = choices;
    while(*option) {
        tputs(tparm(cursor, screenrow, screencol), 1, char_to_terminal);
        fprintf(out, "%s\n",*option);
        screenrow++;
        option++;
    }

    do {
        selected = fgetc(in);
        option = choices;
        while(*option) {
            if(selected == *option[0]) {
                chosen = 1;
                break;
            }
            option++;
        }
        if(!chosen) {
            tputs(tparm(cursor, screenrow, screencol), 1, char_to_terminal);
            fprintf(out, "Incorrect choice, select again\n");
        }
    } while(!chosen);
    tputs(clear, 1, char_to_terminal);
    return selected;
}

int char_to_terminal(int char_to_write)
{
    if (output_stream) putc(char_to_write, output_stream);
    return 0;
}

end of code

Thanks,