Re: starting ppp on host end

On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, Richard E. Hawkins Esq. wrote:

> jens wrote,
> > Richard E. Hawkins Esq. wrote:
> > > huh?  This is an 8 bit clean connection.  so how to i test it myself to
> > > have something to show the telecommunications folks?  Or could my modem
> > > be sending 7 bits?  It's a compaq pcmia modem in an ibm thinkpad.
> > > any help would be appreciated.
> > Most likely the problem is simply that ppp hasn't started--the shell
> > is probably just
> > echoing back the LCP config requests. Try going through the chat
> >procedure by hand and see if you get PPP packets after you
> >ultimately login to the Linux box.
> oh :)  I thought that the script started it at the other end :)
> OK, for the really dumb question:  how do I start ppp on the other end on a
> debian box?  it seems to be with pppd to start the daemon, but I'm having
> trouble figuring out the man & doc pages.  I've figured out to insert
> the ppp & shlc modules on the host, but I'm not clear on what else to do.
> When I type pppd when logged in manually, I just get a bunch of nonsense
> characters.

I think someone should file a bug report against pppd because it really
ought to be able to distinguish "no data at all" from "no data with top bit
set", which it doesn't. So the error message only confuses people.

If you're connecting to an ISP, you may have to send "ppp" in response to
a prompt, but that shouldn't be necessary when dialling into a Debian box
if you're running mgetty, because of the line that starts
/AutoPPP/ ...
in /etc/mgetty/login.config
As soon as mgetty receives LCP stuff, it starts PPP.

If the "nonsense characters" contain plenitudinous {{{ characters, LCP
stuff is what you're seeing.

Cheers,