Re: HELP with Sound Card

On Wed, Aug 12, 1998 at 03:33:59PM +0200, joost@pc47.mpn.cp.philips.com wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Aug 1998, XRDLAB wrote:
>
> > >Didn't you read the documentation? There is no SB 16 compatible card on the
> > >market. ..........
> > >
> > Yes, I read the documentation and it said that some cards might work.
> > That is why I mentioned that the card "claims" to be compatible.
>
> The compatibility most cards claim is not a strict hardware compatibility,
> but a software API compatibility of the Windows(TM) driver that comes with
> the card, meaning that applications that expect a SB16 type of driver
> will find a driver similar enough.  That's what drivers do: they hide
> complicated lowlevel information from applications, providing only the
> Application Program Interface instead.

This is generally true, but there were indeed some SB compatible 8 bit
Aztech sound cards on the market.

Today the only SB compatible cards are produced by Creative Labs. Under the
name Sound Blaster :)

> You could note the numbers and text on the IC's and do:
>
>   cd /usr/src/linux    (or wherever you keep the kernel source)
>   grep "text fragment" `find drivers/sound -type f`
>
> Then, when it finds something, look at that file and maybe it'll tell you
> more.  I'm sorry, but this is all I can help you with.

I doubt this would help (although it's worth a try). The sound driver
OSS/Free is completely crap (the sources are ... let's not talk about it).
The only chance are the Readme files in /usr/src/linux/driver/sound/.

Marcus