xdm starts local server

I just upgraded a bo machine to hamm from the official CDs;
/etc/X11/config says

# This file contains configuration flags for the X Window System.
# For a description of the meanings of the flags, see
# /usr/doc/X11/README.Debian

no-run-xconsole
obey-nologin
allow-user-resources
allow-user-modmap
allow-user-xsession
allow-failsafe
start-xdm
no-xdm-start-server

However, xdm still starts a local server. Also, if I "startx" as a user,
it doesn't run the window manager (I have no ~/.xsession or ~/.xinitrc),
although it does if I login through xdm.

Suggestions?

thanks,
hamish