Re: Star Office

On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, Keith wrote:

> I want to install the Star Office. I am running Debian 2.0. The
> Star Office package in dselect is only like 24k. This then asks
> me where my archive files, or something are. What does that mean?
> If anyone is running Star Office let me know how to install it.

The package that Debian distributes is only an installer.  It's for the
older version for StarOffice only.  When you want to install
StarOffice4.0{,sp3}, just untar the thing in /var/tmp and run the
installer.  You can safely install it into /usr/local/SO4 without
interfering with your Debian system.

And oh, on Debian 2.0 which is libc6-based, you'll also need to install
libc5 from the oldlibs section, because that's what StarOffice4.0 is
linked against.

Be aware that soon StarOffice5.0 will appear.

If time permits, I might do an installer for StarOffice{4.0,4.0sp3,5.0} as
noone else seems to be working on it anymore.  Don't hold your breath
though.

Cheers,

Joost