Debian full bootable backup. Howto ?

What would be the smartest approach to have a full bootable backup of a
Debian customized system ?

As backup media I could use : 4mm SCSI tape, SCSI CD-R, vfat parition on
other disk, the network.

On AIX there a mksysb command which produces a bootable tape backup of
the whole system (the rootvg volume group to be picky).
Once I have a system which is up and running, correctly configured, I
ususally make a mksysb and in case of a disk failure I only need to
place the mksysb in the tape drive, boot from it and voila my system is
fully restored and alive again.

TIA
--
Robert J. Alexander <rja@raleigh.ibm.com>
AIX Certified System Administrator - Debian Linux addict - Win.\* victim