Re: Debian full bootable backup. Howto ?

On Wed, Aug 12, 1998 at 09:49:23AM +0200, Robert J. Alexander wrote:
> What would be the smartest approach to have a full bootable backup of a
> Debian customized system ?
>
> As backup media I could use : 4mm SCSI tape, SCSI CD-R, vfat parition on
> other disk, the network.
>
> On AIX there a mksysb command which produces a bootable tape backup of
> the whole system (the rootvg volume group to be picky).
> Once I have a system which is up and running, correctly configured, I
> ususally make a mksysb and in case of a disk failure I only need to
> place the mksysb in the tape drive, boot from it and voila my system is
> fully restored and alive again.

Well...AFIAK you can't really tape boot on most machines with Linux.
Here is how I backup.
I have a tape drive st0 and nst0
I just
tar clvf /dev/st0 /
(NB: everything is on 1 partition...any mount point on its own partition
must be listed explicitly with the l option...ie if /usr is on /dev/hda2
then tar clvf /dev/st0 / /usr )

then to restore...I get "Tom's Unix on fa Floppy"
I have  pasted in the lsm for it below after my signature

anyway...I give it a command line option at the lilo prompt
so it detects my SCSI card..then
{do what I need to gat my system read and mount what WILL BE
/ on next reboot on /mnt)
cd /mnt
cpio -i < /dev/st0
cd etc
lilo -C lilo.conf
cd /
umount /mnt
restart

E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"

--tomsrtbt lsm--
Title:          tomsrtbt
Version:        1.4.68
Entered-date:   11JUN98
                1722MB boot/root rescue disk with a lot of hardware and tools.
                Supports ide, scsi, tape, network adaptors, PCMCIA, much more.
                About 100 utility programs and tools for fixing and restoring.
                See 'ReadMe-Features' for the list of what's included.  Not a
                script, just the diskette image packed up chock full of stuff.
                Also good as learn-unix-on-a-floppy as it has mostly what you
                expect- vi, emacs, awk, sed, sh, manpages- loaded on ramdisks.