Why Debian default kernel is bzImage ?

Every time I pick up a new Debian drop from scratch (ie use the install
disks), I have to find the special "tecra" disks since on all portables
I have installed Debian on, the standard disks, being bzImage do not
boot.

I also have to take care since after the base install, the standard
kernel-image files which are usually preselected by dselect, would
render my system unbootable again.

At the end of the base install, I must install the compiler, ther kernel
sources and run a make-kpkg --zimage --revision mymachine.1 kernel_image
and install the resulting package prior to the first reboot.

All of this would not be necessary if Debian's kernel format was zImage.

Why isn't this desirable ? In most contributions to this list, when it
comes to kernel compiling I very often see make zimage or make-kpkg
--zimage crop up ...

Thank you.
--
Robert J. Alexander <rja@raleigh.ibm.com>
AIX Certified System Administrator - Debian Linux addict - Win.\* victim