Nuking damned scrambled consoles.

Hi,

Every now and then I do a little goof-up that scrambles a virtual
console and I'm sure we all do sometimes but lately I've been doing a
little programming and if I accidentally gib a string argument then it
corrupts the console every single time so I quickly run out of all 6
consoles and am forced to reboot.

Now, there has GOT to be a way to recover a scrambled console, right?
Why isn't there protection for this in the first place? I don't see why
this would ever be desired behavior, unless this property is somehow
essential for 'correctness'?

Anyways, any help appreciated.

Also, if there are any vim users reading this what does ^x ^s do? I
sometimes accidentally type this when I mean to save a file (bad habit
from using ae), and this seems to lock up vim pretty hard.

Chris