Re: First time Linux user.

AJT60@student.canterbury.ac.nz wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Aug 1998, GamerZ wrote:
>
> > okay
> > this is hopefully my last question for today
> > the simple alphabet of DOS no longer exists
> > it was extremely simple (which haha confused even some)
> > linux uses a single tree supposedly, and has to mount devices to this tree
> > every bootup, i believe
> > what would be the paths to all of the standard DOS drives:
>
> The information in the file /etc/fstab (or something) has mounting
> information about the disk drives/partitions. Normally one would mount
> different partitions as standard directories in the standard file system.
> For example, / (the root directory) might be on hda6 (last partition on
> the 1st drive, perhaps d: in dos parlance). hdb1 might be mounted as /usr,
> hdb2 might be /var or whatever. hda1 might hold windows95 and be mounted
> as /win95 or something. How you actually organise all this (especially as
> you seem to have lots of harddrives) is beyond me, although others may
> give you considerations. It's OK (although not ideal) to have the entire
> thing on one partition, it's probably easier this way at least at first.
> You'll want lots of room for /usr though, that's where all the program
> files go.
>
> My system has two harddrives, and the arrangement looks something like:
>
> device size  filesystem  mount point  contents
> hda1 (400Mb)'vfat'        /win95        win95, oddly enough
> hda5 (~32Mb) linux swap    N/A          swap space/virtual memory
> hda6 (~370Mb) ext2        /             /, /home/ajt (my user directory)
>                                         and everything that's not
>                                                 elsewhere
> hdb1 (100Mb)    ext2      this ones's going to be / when I clean out hda
> hdb2 (32Mb)     linux swap  N/A         swap space
> hdb3 (100Mb)    ext2        /var        stuff that gets changed by
>                                         programs often
> hdb4 (>1000Mb)  ext2        /usr        programs/applications etc.
>
> This probably isn't ideal, either.
>
> Unix accesses devices as files, that's what the /dev/fd0 was in my mount
> example. here are the normal device files for the devices you wanted
>
> > a: (floppy)
> /dev/fd0
> > b: (other floppy)
> /dev/fd1
> > c: (primary master)
> /dev/hda1
> > d:(prim. slav.)
> /dev/hdb1
> > e:(sec. mas.)
> /dev/hdc1
> > f: (sec. slav.)
> /dev/hdd1
>
> > where would the cdrom be, and where would the actual os be stored, like what
> > are the most common directories...
>
> cdrom depends on the make of your cdrom, mine's /dev/sbpcd1 (sound
> blaster). I created a directory /cdrom and mount it there.
>
> I've already covered some of the directories in my mounting example, but
> here are the other usual ones:
>
> /bin (system binaries, things like ls etc)
> [...]

	FWIW.  Just to give an example of a simpler setup (in fstab):

/dev/hda1               /dosc               vfat           ;Win95+FAT32
/dev/hda2               none                swap           ;Linux swap
partition
/dev/hda3               /                   ext2           ;Linux root
partition
/dev/hdb                /cdrom              iso9660        ;ATAPI (IDE)
CDROM

	I mount my Win95 partition under the dir '/dosc'.  You can choose
whatever name you want for this.

	Since my CDROM is an ATAPI type, I access it as if it were a IDE hard
drive, i.e. /dev/hd?.

--
Ed C.