kde missing icons

I just installed kde-1.0 from ftp.kde.org. I believe that it is the same
release 1.0-1 version found in slink.

My problem is that the toolbar icons in kfm and other progs that use those
icons don't show up. Instead, you get fuzzy pics where the icons are
supposed to be. However the buttons themselves work find, only thing is
you have to sort of mentally remember what they do!

Another problem si that I get the message to change the password in
~/.kde/.../kfm/magic. I don't know how to do that. Could the two things be
related?

Last question is: where is the best place to read about how debian menus
are integrated into window managers?

BG