Re: Netscape: "Can't open display"

On Mon, 10 Aug 1998, LUK ShunTim wrote:

> Kent West wrote:
> >
> > Whenever I try to run Netscape it returns an error to the effect of
> > "Can't open display" Any clues? (Please be as specific as you can because
> > I don't know what I'm doing.)
> >
> > Thanks.
> > Kent West
> > kent.west@infotech.acu.edu
> >
> > --
>
> Netscape must be run in an X environment. Therefore, assuming your
> system is
> set up correctly and your are at the command prompt, try
>
> startx
>
> If you succeed in getting your X environment, then you will see the
> xterm
> window (looks like the command shell), then you can try
>
> netscape &
>
> to start Netscape.
>
> Hopes this helps,
>
> ST
> --

I'm running X; however, I'm running it as root. When I try running
Netscape in an xterm window, it tells me I can't run Netscape as root. So
I try logging in as a normal user and I get the "can't open display"
message. If I try "netscape &" like you suggest above, I get a message
like "[1] 563".

As I tell you these details, I'm getting the sneaking suspicion that my
problem is related to user privileges.