Re: REPOST two problems (kernel & X)

Ivan wrote:

> Hello once more !
>
> Problem 1.
>
> i downloaded source for linux 2.0.34 so that i could recompile with sound.
>
> using 'make config' i chose to install sound as a module (as advised by
> some kind ppl) and compiled the kernel by:
>
> a) make dep;make clean
> b) make zlilo
> c) make modules
> d) make modules_install
>
> i also included the vfat & msdos file systems as modules
>
> i enabled the module auto_load feature and note that kerneld is loaded on boot
>
> rebooted & 'uname -a' says that the kernel being used is the one that i
> just compiled.
>
> when i try to 'mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /win-drive' the error is that the
> kernel does not support type vfat.
>
> i later tried to compile again ( & again, & again ... !) to no avail.
> thinking that starting the compile with 'make mrproper' would give me a
> truly clean compilation i did this but the modules are still not being loaded.
>
> 'insmod vfat' generated errors as well (can't remember the errors and can't
> re-generate at the moment because i am using windoze to send this - see
> Problem 2!)

	Double check that (in filesystems area of kernel config) you have
Native Language support, DOS fat fs support, MSDOS fs support, VFAT
(Windows-95) support and at least one 'Codepage' and one 'NLS ISO'
selected (for english you would select the first codepage and and the
first NLS ISO entry in the list).  They can all be modules; you don't
need to put these in the kernel.
	After installing the new modules and rebooting with the new kernel did
you run the 'depmod -a' prog to calc new dependencies among the
modules?.

> i have just (10 minutes ago) discovered the debian kernel package thanks to
> reading this list - do you think this will help ???

	Some people like it.  I don't think it will help with this particular
problem though.  I'm guessing that you don't have everything listed
above activated in the kernel config.

> any other ideas/information very much appreciated.
>
> Problem 2.
>
> in my quest for a wysiwyg word processor, i downloaded the Siag package to
> /. as this is .tar.gz i 'tar -xzvf <package name>' which unloaded a pile of
> files to my poor unsuspecting computer !
>
> i "sort of, accidently" <sheepish smile> deleted one of the library files i
> think "libc.so.6.1" or something like that
>
> now, X starts up fine and loads fvwm95 but i cannot get xterm to run -
> complains that it cannot find "libXaw3d.so.6" (i think that is the file).
>
> can i and should i use dselect to purge the libc files then download and
> install them again ?  if so, how do i do this - when i "experimented"
> dselect had a fit trying to tell me how many dependency problems i was
> causing !

11:42am ~$ dpkg -S libc.so.6
libc6: /lib/libc.so.6

12:31pm ~$ dpkg -S libXaw3d.so.6
xaw3dg: /usr/X11R6/lib/libXaw3d.so.6
xaw3dg: /usr/X11R6/lib/libXaw3d.so.6.1

	Assuming its the xaw lib thats missing, download the xaw3dg package and
install with 'dpkg -i xaw3dg.deb'.  You could do this dselect using ftp
as well.  dpkg won't complain when asked to replace an installed package
with an identical package (same version), so you don't have to delete
the package first to install.

--
Ed C.