Re: Internet for Linux through Win95

On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, David Irwin wrote:

> Run down on the problem:
>   I installed in my home a LAN which connected three windows machines
> together I then installed Linux on one of them. The machine doesn't
> have a modem and I'm having trouble connecting it through the network
> to the internet.

 Can the Linux box talk to the Windows boxes and vice versa?

> The networking card installed properly (I assume) in the setup it has
> the proper io and irq addresses. The Linux machine is running the
> latest version of debian with an ip address of 90.0.0.6.

 Hmm. Who assigned you that address? Did you get it from your ISP or
something? There are some network numbers reserved for private networks
that aren't routed directly to the internet. They are:

 10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255       netmask 255.0.0.0
 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255     netmask 255.255.0.0
 192.168.0.0 - 198.168.255.255   netmask 255.255.255.0

 If you use other addresses and then hook up to the internet, things
can get very confused.

> I'm running a proxy server on the one machine with an ip address of
> 90.0.0.5. Is it possible to connect through a proxy server?

 Should be. Netscape has a configuration option to look for a proxy...

> I would like to know if it is possible to connect a Linux machine this
> way. My guess is I need some software which I'm unable to find for the
> 95 machine. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

 Frankly, I'd put the modem on the Linux machine and let the Windows
machines surf through that. Linux is a far better networker.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles          (248) 377-7735         ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

 "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
                 - Anonymous' restatement of Clarke