What xfsft is.

Remco van de Meent wrote:

[...]

> By the way, what is "xfsft" ?

It's a replacement for the standard xfs that comes with X11 that
supports truetype fonts. So rather than having to run two font servers
if you want to use TTF fonts, you need only run one. To find out more,
visit:

http://www.darmstadt.gmd.de/~pommnitz/xfsft.html
http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/jec/programs/xfsft/
http://math.missouri.edu/~stephen/software/

xfsft AFAIK is packaged for Redhat while Debian/Slackware/Suse boxes
usually run xfstt because it's far less of a pain to get working,
because if you want to make an xfsft binary that works on a specific
system you need to do a lengthy download of a good portion of the X11
source (XFree, X Consortium, whatever) and then do a lengthy rebuild.
There are actually a few Slackware guys that, being used to the download
source tarball/build it routine, have actually gone to the trouble of
doing xfsft builds for their own weird configurations just for the
perfection of their systems.

As far as advantages of xfsft over xfstt go, I've never heard anything
worthwhile or convincing that xfsft is *that* much better, though IIRC I
heard someone say that the weird problem Netscape has that won't let you
change the size of TTF fonts it uses even though you can actually put
the number into the grayed out box does not happen with xfsft. I'd love
to see someone back that claim up though before believing it. Maybe a
post to a RedHat list to get confirmation if that is true is in order.