Re: log file rotation in hamm...

Alan Su <alsu@beowulf.ucsd.edu> wrote:
> it seems to me that there should be a way to do this, but currently it
> requires an act of god, or at least some really gross changes to
> /etc/syslog.conf which will probably change the way stuff gets logged.
> (i admit, i don't really understand what facilities and priorities
> are, which is what syslogd-listfiles uses to decide when things need
> to be logged.)

syslogd-listfiles looks in /etc/syslog.conf for lines containing
"*.*" to decide what needs to be rotated daily.  So in the line for
/var/log/syslog, replace the "*.*" with the equivalent "*.debug".
(This logs all facilities with priority "debug" and higher.  "debug"
is the lowest priority, though, so it matches all of them.)  This
doesn't seem too gross a change.

--
Steve Reeves
stever@gate.net