Re: chroot in passwd? (WAS: Re: Trouble With Simple Thing.)

On Thu, Jul 30, 1998 at 02:08:00AM -0700, Chris Wong wrote:
> 	That's exactly what I want.. in ftp, I'm stuck.. I thought it would be nice
> so users don't get lost in the filesystem if they changed to the root dir.

Quoted from http://yahanbi.snu.ac.kr/study-archive/security/8.html

5. Restricted Filesystem

chroot() system call : changes a process's view of the filesystem
in SVR4, if the shell field for a user in the /etc/passwd file is
filled with "*", then the login program will make a chroot() call on
the home directory field.
copy some files in the /etc, /lib, /usr/lib, /bin .. to other
directory.

End Quote

looks like you're looking for something to that efect?

-|_az

--
   Adam Lazur - Computer Engineering Undergrad - Lehigh University
              icq# 3354423 - http://www.lehigh.edu/~ajl4

"Whenever the dragon's teeth of technological change are sown, we reap
 a whirlwind of violence." -Marshall McLuhan