Re: log file rotation in hamm...

On Thu, 30 Jul 1998, Alan Su wrote:

: Nathan E Norman wrote (Thu, 30 Jul 1998 12:51:59 -0500 (CDT) ):
: |>On Thu, 30 Jul 1998, Alan Su wrote:
: |>
: |>: I just installed hamm, and I noticed that the log file rotation in
: |>: /etc/cron.{daily,weekly}/sysklogd now uses a facility called
: |>: syslogd-listfiles.  does anyone know how to change the periodicity
: |>: with which logs are rotated?  most notably, i want to rotate syslog on
: |>: a weekly, not daily basis, but it seems that there's no way to make
: |>: syslogd-listfiles to do the right thing without munging
: |>: /etc/syslog.conf in unspeakable ways.
: |>:
: |>: anyone got a solution?  thanks...
: |>
: |>Comment out the following lines in /etc/cron.daily/sysklogd
: |>
: |>for LOG in `syslogd-listfiles`
: |>do
: |>   if [ -f $LOG ]; then
: |>      savelog -g adm -m 640 -u root -c 7 $LOG >/dev/null
: |>   fi
: |>done
: |>
: |>(Try running `syslogd-listfiles' - you'll notice that "/var/log/syslog"
: |>is the output)
: |>
:
: Yea, i tried this first to see what it did, and you're right it spits
: out /var/log/syslog.  my question was basically: how do you modify the
: behavior of syslogd-listfiles?

No, I looked through the script and it's a bit opaque to me :)

: |>If you don't want ANY logs rotated on a daily basis, remove
: |>/etc/cron.daily/sysklogd, or add an "exit 0" to the beginning of that
: |>file.
: |>
:
: Well, this is only half the solution; if i simply exit the script
: without doing anything, i don't get the daily rotations.  however, i
: don't get the weekly ones either (which is what i want).

Huh?  Weekly rotations are handled by /etc/cron.weekly/sysklogd, which
is a different script.  I guess I don't follow your argument.

As I said, you can delete/disable the sysklogd script in
/etc/cron.daily, and that will disable daily rotations.  It'll have no
effect on WEEKLY rotations.

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104