Trouble upgrading to Debian 2.0

I am having some trouble upgrading to Debian 2.0.  I have sucked down
hamm, ran autoup.sh and then dselect repeatedly (dselect seems to be
happy now), but gcc is not working.  Trying to compile a simple hello.c
test I get the following during the link stage:

   /usr/lib/crt1.o(.text+0xe): undefined reference to `__libc_init_first'
   /usr/lib/crt1.o(.text+0x18): undefined reference to `_environ'
I have tried reinstalling the gcc package, the libc6 packages
repeatedly, but I am confused over the source and/or solution to this

Thanks for any insight!

Russell Senior