Re: Trouble upgrading to Debian 2.0

*-Russell Senior (29 Jul)

| I am having some trouble upgrading to Debian 2.0.  I have sucked down
| hamm, ran autoup.sh and then dselect repeatedly (dselect seems to be
| happy now), but gcc is not working.  Trying to compile a simple hello.c
| test I get the following during the link stage:
|
|    /usr/lib/crt1.o(.text+0xe): undefined reference to `__libc_init_first'
|    /usr/lib/crt1.o(.text+0x18): undefined reference to `_environ'
|
| I have tried reinstalling the gcc package, the libc6 packages
| repeatedly, but I am confused over the source and/or solution to this
| problem.

Make sure you don't have any generic links in /lib like

/lib/libc.so -> /lib/libc.so.5
/lib/libm.so -> /lib/libm.so.5
/lib/libncurses.so -> /lib/libncurses.so.3
etc.

where the link has no version number on it.

I am speaking from experience not expertese.  I got bit by this bug
when I upgrades a while ago.  Look in the debian-user mail list
archives for the 'gcc can't compile, egcc can!??' thread.  Apparently
this is a remnant from an older Debian release that did not get cleaned
up.  I filed a bug report agains libc6 but apparently it did not get
taken care of by release time.  My thanks go to Zack Weinberg
<zack@rabi.phys.columbia.edu> for helping me out when I had the problem.

--
Brian