Re: SCSI Controller

>I'm in the middle of getting a new PII (300MHz +) system.  I'd like
>to know what SCSI controller should I get for the best performance and
>supporter driver on Linux:
>
>1. BusLogic
>2. Adaptec  UW
>
>A. Onboard (which Motherboard)
>B. PCI Card

The Adaptec controllers have been flakey on Linux (though it may change as
Adaptec has finally started giving out specs). With the current drivers
Adaptec 2940 (aic7xxx) cards get confused under high load. The BusLogic
MultiMaster BT958 controllers run quite well under Linux and (from my
experience) are quite a bit faster than the Adaptec controllers. Onboard
or as a PCI card rarely makes any difference, as the 'on bord'
controllers are just the PCI card soldered directly on to the motherboard.

Another contoller that seem to be working nicely are the
Symbios Logic 53c875 based cards such as Asus's SC875.

Regards,
/Anders

Anders Hammarquist   |       Mud at Kingdoms        | iko@netg.se
NetGuide Scandinavia |   telnet kingdoms.se 1812    | Fax: +46 31 50 79 39
http://www.netg.se   |                              | Tel: +46 31 50 79 40