RE: App, !getty on /dev/tty1?

What I have done in the past is use scripts that run as part of the
system startup.  In the scripts you do an su to an account you want
to run the program.  It does not have to be a login account.  The
scripts do any stty commands if it is on a serial line.  nohup the
program and it just keeps going as the user you specified in the su
command.

This doesn't have the advantage of restarting if the program blows up
like init would do.  However, you can loop in a script to simulate the
same thing.

I haven't had to do this on linux but it works on hpux.

example: start program foo as user bar
	make a script called foo in /etc/init.d  (make links in the
		rc?.d directories)
	inside /etc/init.d/foo have a line to start a start script
	such as su bar -c "/home/bar/bin/foo.startup"
	inside foo.startup set up the environment, do any other setup
		like stty, etc. (maybe even exec >/dev/tty1 ??)
		Then have a "nohup foo ... &"

If the program is good about not dumping core and such, it will run
on the terminal you attached it to until you change run levels or
stop it manually.

As I said, this scheme works under hpux.  ymmv.

jim