Re: New to debian -- question about shells & unused accounts

On Tue, Jul 28, 1998 at 01:33:29AM -0700, Chris Ulrich wrote:
>   I recently got tired of taking care of my own installation of linux
> and decided to install debian.  So far, I've been pretty happy with it.
>
>   I'm sure I'll have more questions later, but I've got some questions
> right now.
>
> 1: Is it necessary to have all the dead accounts that come in the
> distribution password have /bin/sh as the shell?  Some, like nobody
> and the qmail daemons, aren't suppose to have a real shell, because
> people aren't suppose to be able to log in with those IDs.  Ever. I
> changed my password file, but it seems odd that they would be there
> in the first place.

What I do for accounts whose login should not be allowed is make the shell
/dev/null.  Their connection will be dropped as soon as login exits.
Alternatively, you could write a shell script that says "Go away", etc. and
then exec's /dev/null or just exits.

>   I'm sure I think of others -- like where did the fat filesystem
> files in the debian kernel sources for 2.0.34 go?

fat, msdos, and vfat all work together.  You will most likely want to
compile your kernel with vfat as a module and make sure that msdos and fat
are also compiled, as vfat depends on them.

Adam Keys