xacc brings my laptop to a crawl

I'm trying to use xacc in the hamm release (xacc_1.0.17-2.deb), but
when I try to enter a number in the register window, the cursor blinks
exceedingly fast and it brings to X server to a near standstill.  I
can still continue, but at a snail's pace, maybe a character every 10
seconds.  This occurs with both the lesstif and statically linked
motif version.  So, does xacc have a bad polling mechanism or
something or do I have my Xserver misconfigured?

Mike Roberts