Re: Mouse under X

On: Sat, 25 Jul 1998 17:20:37 Yanick MICHOU writes:

> HI!
> I installed the Debian 2.0 Hamm distribution yesterday on an old i386. I
> thought I got the brand new stable version, but I encoutered problems with
> the X server installation : not all the required files or directories were
> correctly installed, so I had to complete by hand. Now it seems almost
> correct, except that I can't configure properly the mouse. It is a 2
> buttons Logitech.
>
> If /etc/XF86Config pointer section contains :
> 	Protocol  "Logitech"
> 	Device "/dev/mouse"
> 	Baud rate 1200
> then I got the error :
> Fatal server error
> Cannot open mouse (No such file or directory)
> when I do startx, and the server doesn't start. I've noticed that I don't
> have /dev/mouse, so in the XF86Config file I put "/dev/smouse", which
> exists. In that case, I get the error :
> Cannot open mouse (Operation not supported by device)

What kind of mouse interface do you have, is it a serial mouse or a
bus mouse.  If it is a serial mouse, try the mouse interface
/dev/ttyS0 (if the mouse is connected to the first serial port) and
try the mouse protocols Microsoft, Mouseman, and Logitech in that
order.

For a busmouse use the Busmouse protocol with the /dev/logibm device
(according to the kernel's device.txt).  If it is a normal PS/2 mouse
use the corresponding protocol specification with the /dev/psaux
interface.

> I also get these messages after the first one :
> _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
> giving up.
> xinit: Connection refused (errno 111): unable to connect to X server
> xini: No such process (errno 3): Server error.
> Is it related to the mouse problem ?

Yes, it simply means there is no X server running.

	Torsten