Re: From RH 5.1 to Debian

On Sat, 25 Jul 1998, Robert Lyonnais wrote:
> Is there an easy (I guess I mean
> straightforward) way to go from RH 5.1 to Debian 2.0 without a format
> being required in between.
>
> If this is possible, are there any disadvantages? Would I be better
> off doing an instal from scratch?

There's not really a way. However, you can keep the files that aren't
controlled by the distribution's package system; usually this would mean
/home and /usr/local. I put /home on a separate partition for just this
reason, to avoid losing my stuff when reinstalling. If you have /home on
the same partition as Red Hat, you could either back it up and restore it
to your Debian system, or you might could try removing everything on the
partition except /home and then installing Debian, taking care not to
format the disk. Could get hairy though.

The only problem you could conceivably have using a Red Hat /home on
Debian is some kind of permissions issue. But you can always use chmod and
chown to fix it.

Havoc Pennington ==== http://pobox.com/~hp